Lojo's Proze & Mr Boo's Newz

Thursday, September 19, 2013

I can walk under ladders



Last Friday I played a wedding. That’s right, on Friday – The 13th – I played a wedding.  And I gotta say it was probably one of the most memorable weddings I’ve played.  

The Bride and Groom took advantage of the day and went all out; broken glass, runes and fortune cookies on the tables, pennies on the floor, open umbrellas inside the reception room to receive cards, black cats and crows (stuffed toys) scattered about, a Ouija board printed on the cake, Voo-Doo dolls as party favors and the Bride had a spider pinned to her dress.  For me the pièce de resistance was the two black ladders that were decorated like some Gothic chuppah which they walked under after exchanging vows.

That evening I also did something I’ve never done as a solo performer – played the reception.  The Bride had suggested a few ‘theme’ songs and gave me the go-ahead to fill-in the rest of the sets on my own.  The set list included songs like Abra-Ca-Dabra, Superstitious, Love Potion #9,  That Ol’ Black Magic,  Bad Luck, Every Little Thing She Does is Magic, and this rocking swamp tune called, Marie LaVeau.  I even threw in a few of my own like, Lucky Day and Carnival Ride.  The repertoire was creepy and fun for one exception - a request of the Bride - which threw me for a loop – Love Will Keep Us Together, by Captain and Tenille. (One of these things is not like the other…  It could've been worse. I could've been, Muscrat Love.)

It was a magical evening and they are a enchanting couple and I felt very lucky to be a part of their charmed celebration.

1 comment:

Modhran said...

That sounds like it was a lot of fun.